Wednesday, July 15, 2009

DCUC: The Man Who Slimed the Bat

Funny how the toys I seek the most happen to fall into my lap. Well, Sometimes, at least. It certainly was that way with DC Universe Classics Clayface!


He sure looks like a pile of crap. And that's what makes him so awesome! Originally released in the DC Superheroes line (predecessor of the DCUC Classics), he's just been re-released (no, not from Arkham) in a new DCUC 2-pack with black and grey mud-spattered Batman!

Walking to my usual haunt on Sunday afternoons at China Square Central, Mel and I stumbled upon him in a loose toy tray in one of the toy shops. (Well okay, Mel saw it first--she usually sees them rare ones cos she walks ahead of me, But she never knows that they're rare. It's almost as if she's keen to get at the toys just to hand them to me. It's true. ;P)

Picking it up, she was about to say something about Clayface's shitty demeanor when I said, "Hey! Clayface!" Turns out she was about to tell me, "It's Chocolate Man!"

So without hesitation I asked the store owner how much he was selling it for. "$25," he said, and with a shake of his head, "I dunno why the guy wanted only the Batman..."

All right then! All mine then! :D Cos you see, the DCSH version of him usually sells for S$40, and I already have the Batman of my dreams in the DCSH blue/grey Bats, so I was lukewarm about buying the 2-pack just for Chocolate Man. I mean Clayface. And the reason he's so sought after (besides his looks) is his articulation:

Head: Swivel, but can't turn 360 degrees cos some of his "clay" gets in the way. But turns side to side reasonably well.

Shoulders: Swivels as well, but 360 degree rotation.

Arms: Here's the beauty of this figure. His arms are molded out of rubber, so no joint. But they have bendable wire in 'em so they can me "molded" into whatever pose you desire. I did not know this before! Sweet!

Chest: Hinge

Waist: Swives 360! Nice!

Hips: Swivel and hinge, but motion is limited bue to excessive (But nonetheless beautiful) bits of clay.

Knees are hinges, but ar elimited to 70 or so degreee bend.

Feet: Ball joints!

So 13 points + bendy arms. Not too shabby for a pile of poop! ;)













Here's how I rate the guy:

Character Accuracy: 10/10 - Looks perfectly like the Matt Hagen Clayface out of the Batman Animated series. I like that they varied the size of his upper body with regard to his lower half.

Aesthetic: 9.5/10 - Just awesome! From the detail of his teeth to the extra bit of clay molded onto his upper torso and hanging uder his left arm, and down to his one baby toe, Hasbro seem to have done the perfect thing in just re-issuing the figure. They got it right the first time, so if it ain't broke, why fix it? ;) Gotta also love the rubbery molding of his fingers/hands--perfect for holding up, oh say, an arch enemy? (And tossing him around, of course.)













Poseability: 9.5/10 - While his regular joints are so-so, his bendable arms just way make up for them. I can imagine many would love to twist them and turn them every which way but I'm wary of bendy bits on action figures. I have some vague memory of having a Mr. Fantastic and a Hulk Hogan, both of whom I maimed because I over-bendied them. :( And in this case we don't want shapely shit to become limp lumps...

But I'm sure responsible bendy-ing should go a long way towards preserving Clayface. :)

Overall: 9.5/10 - I just can't put him down! He's fantastic to pose with Bats, just as Supes was with Mongul or Bizarro. I mean, I have my favourites when it comes to the Good Guys, but I seem to love lots of them baddies!




So get this guy if you can find him. And if you don't have Batman, even better, since they only now come in a 2-pack. And if a little thinner rub down can get rid of Bats' shit stains, all the better. If not just hand the man a roll of toilet paper. He's gonna need it every time he squares off with Clayface. ;)

4 comments:

  1. Chocolate man!!!!! yum yum yum =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. $25!?!?!?!

    RED LANTERN RAGE!

    I had to make my own out of clay (heh) and an Incredible Hulk Abomination figure. Bummer.

    Awesome review as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks! It was Invasion toys where I found this. And no, I'm envious that you can customize! It's something on my to-do list, but it's way down there for lack of time/space/know-how. You should put up a pic of it! :)

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! I actually don't have that much know-how - but you can have a look at the figure here: http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcustomfigure.php?FID=28635 Thanks for your interest!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...